Saturday, June 2, 2012

Dessert now. Baby later.

This wasn't really crafted for wear...but the main material will be worn eventually!

Introducing the Diaper Cake! I made this for a friend who will be having her third boy! I figured she would already have most of the baby essentials. So what would every baby need?...Diapers!!! And a diaper cake is a much more fun way to gift diapers!

Most diaper cakes I see online look very fussy to me. Either they are loaded  with cheap plastic baby decorations or fake flowers. I wanted something simple, classic and sophisticated. I recently attended my sister-in-law's wedding where her mother had made gorgeous pinwheels for the bridesmaids to carry. (Lori, I think you should make more of those pinwheels and sell them on Etsy.) Since then I have been obsessed with pinwheels and behold they make the perfect decorations for a diaper cake!

The newborn diapers I used had yellow and green on them. I started with the lime green (I don't care much for yellow) and added navy blue for boy. (Who is tired of baby blue? I am!) I found the perfect ribbons easily. I had a difficult time finding the perfect colors in the paper but luckily there's a scrapbook store nearby and they had a wonderful assortment of double-sided paper!

The pinwheels are simply made. I used push pins for the centers of the topper. The smaller ones are held together with wire that has been twisted with a little bead on it. The diapers are wrapped around a center. A bit tricky to do but string and a stretchy rubber band helps. I've seen cakes where each diaper is individually rolled but I don't care for that look.

I really enjoyed making this cake! A tasty treat for the eyes now and something that a newborn baby will being wearing A LOT!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment